Russell Elementary History
1916 was a busy year for school construction in Brownsville, Texas. The second of three schools to be built that year was the West Brownsville School. This school would later be named for Brownsville teacher Emaline B. Russell.
Records show that Mrs. Russell, though an already experienced teacher, received a county certificate to teach in 1912, four years before West Brownsville school opened.
She was both principal and classroom teacher at West Brownsville School for 26 years. In gratitude for her many years of faithful service, the name of West Brownsville School was changed to Russell Elementary School in her honor.
Emaline B. Russell Elementary
800 Lakeside Blvd.
Brownsville, Texas 78520
Phone: (956) 548-8960
Fax: (956) 548-8889
Principal: Oscar Cantu Jr.
Date Opened: 1916
School Mascot: Patriot
School Colors: Red / White / Blue
BISD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability or genetic information in employment or provision of services, programs or activities.
BISD no discrimina a base de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, religión, edad, discapacidad o información genética en el empleo o en la provisión de servicios, programas o actividades